Norway in the Olympics so far

As many of you may know, from following my blog, I like to watch winter sports on TV. And as you may have noticed it’s now time for the winter Olympics in Peyongchang in South-Korea. Norway went in to the games with a goal of getting as many as 28 medals. This seems like an extreme amount for a country with only around 5 million people, but even if it is very ambitious we are quite good at winter sports here up north.

This first week we have proven that our goal might not have been too unrealistic. After a week we now have 20 medals, 7 gold, 8 silver and 5 bronze. And there is still a lot of chances left.

Norway’s best day in the Olympics ever came Thursday 15th of February with 6 medals in one day. Our alpine boys Aksel Lund Svindal and Kjetil Jansrud started by taking gold and silver medals in the downhill. The alpine women proved that they are good to by Ragnhild Mowinkel taking silver in the giant slalom. In cross country skiing the Swedish favorite had a bad day, but our largest hope Marit Bjørgen only managed a shared bronze. But Norway has more good skiers and the to and coming Ragnhild Haga got the gold. After that the biathlon boys were tasked with trying to fix a bad start to the competition. And Johannes Tingnes Bø got his gold medal and touched the nation when he hugged his brother who didn’t do so well as him after the race.

Maren Lundby took Norway’s first god medal in ski jumping for women in the Olympics and she became the 100th Norwegian to get a gold medal in the Olympics.

Today was the Norwegian women’s relay. Last Olympics our ski prepping team was very unlucky with their prepping and the Norwegian’s, that was the favorites for the gold ended up without a medal at all. This year they where favorites together with the Swedish and as always there was a lot of discussion in Norway over who got a spot on the team. Our girl on the 2nd round had a terrible day and was so stiff and tired we all just hoped she would manage to get to the next girl and send her off. She used all her last powers to try to not loose to many seconds and the girl she sent off was none other than gold winner Ragnhild Haga, who took us so close to the Swedish team that Marit Bjørgen managed to get the gold for Norway!

In addition to this we started of the Olympics by getting gold, silver and bronze in the first cross country competition for men. We also have gotten medals in ski jump for men, Super-G for men, biathlon for women, cross country sprint for men and women and 5000 meter ice skating for men.

The Olympics brings out all the feelings, from extreme happiness to huge disappointments. The outsiders that surpasses everyone’s expectations, the favorites who finally get their medals, or fail. Watching how happy or disappointed the athletes are after their performances and listening the interviews with them is just wonderful. Here, they really engage the nation.

45 thoughts on “Norway in the Olympics so far

1. ksbeth says:

i love everything about the olympics, all the ups and downs –

2. GP Cox says:

Norway has been a shining star in South Korea – Congratulations!!

3. Congrats on the medals! I can tell you are very proud of your country!

4. What an interesting review! Congratulations to Norway. Up, up you go!!!

5. gary loggins says:

I’m not a big Olympics fan but,,, Go Norway!!

6. I love the Olympics and I’m happy for all the competitors and winners. It just makes the world seem like a kinder, more cooperative place. Congrats to Norway on its medals! 🙂

7. I am really loving watching the Olympics this year. I feel like I get to see so much more of it here in Germany. When I watched from the USA, all that was ever shown was the USA team. Here I get to see much more. So much more fun this way!

8. We’re really enjoying the Olympics here too.

9. Mabel Kwong says:

Congrats on Norway for doing do well. The winter Olympics is such a delight to watch – not just about the competition but lovely to see hard work paying off for quite a few of the athletes 🤗😊

10. Wow! Super wins. I saw the speed skating. So tough. Years of training and over in a second x I love watching curling though. It is so unusual.

11. So lovely when a country gets behind its athletes and there’s so much enthusiasm when they do well. Enjoy the games!

12. Losing the Plot says:

Totally get it, there was almost a National day of celebrations when Lizzie Yarnold defended her gold medal, it’s the fist time GB have managed that in the Winter Olympics. But Norway are way out ahead, which is lovely to see

13. Ritu says:

Norway are doing amazingly!

14. mistybooks says:

There have been some amazing sights. I can just see me being able to slide around a frozen pond on two thin blades – holding a woman doing contortions over my head.
    Puzzles me though why the Russian competitor was caught doping – for curling!

15. Anindya says:

That’s great news for Norway…..winter Olympics are always a tough session, and to perform at the best levels there is always a big achievement…

16. Gary says:

Have to say I’ve enjoyed this Olympics way more than previously for some strange reason. Even have a FlipBoard magazine where I’m sharing stories from it. Norway are doing really well too. Impressive medal count too. I wish politics would come together in the same spirit athletes from all over the globe do too!

17. Phil Taylor says:

I’ve enjoyed watching Norway’s success in the Olympics. And, I like that occasionally my arrogant nation gets reminded that we’re not the best at everything all the time. Go Norway!

18. I love the winter Olympics – and though we aren’t a winter sports nation in UK we have won our most medals this year. Sitting here watching curling bronze match, don’t have a clue what is going on!!! I loved the snowboarding, the skiing – and the Czech girl who won gold in both was fab. I was having a pain flare day on the morning of the ice dancing and sat mesmerised….the Canadian & French couple were outstanding. But Norway are always fab to watch and the cross country was amazing with your lady Bjoergen becoming more decorated female Olympian – such a shame it wasn’t a gold for her though!

19. Artsyteen777 says:

WOW look at Norway now!! 38 medals 13 gold unbelievable!!