The Geo-Park

Geopark

Geo-park

The weather has been lovely lately and I have taken the opportunity to go out for a few walks. I walked past the Geo-Park the other day and I was reminded of how much I like the idea of this playground/park in the city centre.

Pipeline

Pipeline

The park is filled with stuff from the oil industry that is not in use any more. It’s located right outside the oil museum, Stavanger being the oil capital in Norway. All the stuff has been donated by various oil companies and they are given a new life in the park. And it’s very popular with the children of all ages. You can, among many things jump on big orange buoys, crawl through a pipeline, play beach volleyball or hide under a big GPR cover in the rain.

WP_000820

Beach volley

I think this is a very good way to find use for all the expensive equipment that is no longer of use offshore. And the park is located by the sea and looks really lively and colorful in the sunshine. As it is a place where the graffiti artists have been allowed to use their creativity to brighten up the walls and installations.

WP_000822

The sea is right by the playground

WP_000819What do you think about re-using things that would be thrown away like this?

28 thoughts on “The Geo-Park

1. Great idea! Being able to renew the old…instead of building new products…always supportive of those initiatives. 🙂

2. That’s a good idea – looks cool!

3. Recycling – we ALL need to do this more. I love this playground!

4. Cool! All the oil companies seem to give Americans is pollution and demands for subsidies and empty words, alas.

5. I look at the photos and I can not associate

I think its a stellar idea and I love it!

7. Ruchi says:

That’s one innovative idea! Good for the children 🙂

8. masgautsen says:

Reblogged this on The thoughts and life of me and commented:

Going to hang out outside down by the sea for a while today and enjoy the sunshine and some good company! This cool park will be among the places to visit.

Fascinating and such a great idea. It does help with such a beautiful location as well. Enjoy.

10. Allie P. says:

What a clever way to repurpose the equipment. Looks like fun.

11. Very industrial looking but that’s taking up-cycling to a whole new level. At least it’s not all tossed into the bottom of the ocean. I’m so glad you have had a bit of lovely weather. We have too but will get one last hit at really hot stuff at the end of the week. I can bear it because I know it will pass and normal temps will be back. Have a great week.

I think the industrial look is what sets it apart from other playgrounds and it’s very good they’re not dumped out at sea!
      The lovely weather is only supposed to stay for a week, but I’m enjoying every bit of it. How hot is it going to be over at yours? A very lovely week to you too!

12. angelanoelauthor says:

What a wonderful way to recycle! Inventive, playful, and useful. Thanks for sharing!