17th of May – Happy Birthday Norway!

The 17th of May is Norway’s Constitution day. We celebrate this by putting on our nice clothes or our traditional bunad. There are Norwegian flags everywhere and everything is decorated in red, white and blue (the colors of our flag). This is mostly a day for the kids, with parades, games, ice creams and hot dogs and much much more.

As I play in a brass band this day is spent playing in various parades. This year the number is 5 parades. This make it a rather busy day for me and coming home there is usually not one part of my body that doesn’t hurt. But seeing all the happy faces makes it worth it. And if I have any energy or ability to move I can squeeze in a little celebration when I finally come home! After all it’s Norway’s birthday!

Tree in bloom

Tree in bloom

Short sum up of the history: Norway was first under Danish rule for quite some time, but 17th of May 1814 we got a constitution. Granted there was a war and we were given to Sweden after this, but we still had our own constitution. written by some of the greatest minds of the day (just men as women was not allowed to even vote before 1913) in a building in the small town of Eidsvoll. In 1905 the Swedes decided that most of Norway wanted the union with them,so they let us have a referendum. They were very wrong, Norway voted for independence and the constitution was stronger than ever.

43 thoughts on “17th of May – Happy Birthday Norway!

1. I was hoping for a picture in your bunad!

Sorry to disapoint Andrew, but I was not wearing my bunad today as it’s not really practical for when you have to march and play so much. It was more a day for our band rain coats.

2. Dina says:

Gratulerer med dagen! 🙂

3. This is very interesting! Lovely celebrations! Thanks for sharing! I hope Norway has a happy birthday! 🙂

4. The brass band is pretty cool. What instrument do you play?

5. Happy Constitution Day. Independence is something we all want. It can be taken away so quietly we don’t even realize it’s gone.

6. Happy Constitution Day and happy birthday Norway. Now i need to Google ‘Bunad…’ 😀 Hugs!

7. Thank you for the interesting short history of your country which makes me want to know more about Norway. Kevin

8. GP Cox says:

Happy Birthday to a country I would love to visit one day!

9. Happy birthday Norway x

10. Ali Isaac says:

Hi Mas, I was just wondering if you are still planning on coming to the Bloggers Bash in London on June 11th? Would be lovely to meet you. Ali

11. Phil Taylor says:

If you substituted the United States for Norway and England for Sweden, it’s the same story. Your day sounds just like the States Independence Day celebrations on July 4.

It’s kind of the same. We, for some reason celeberate the day we got our constitution, not the day we got our freedom. We where lucky enough to have stupid neighbours that gave us independence through a referendum.

12. Well, how cool that you play in a brass band! I’d love to see photos of you in your parades. What an exciting celebration! 🙂

13. thatssojacob says:

Happy syttende mai! I recently celebrated with a Norwegian breakfast here in Wisconsin, AKA the Norway of America. Check it out!

14. sepultura13 says:

Happy belated “Syttende Mai!”
    🙂

Happy Birthday Norway!

Belated Happy Birthday, Noway!

17. Nancy says:

Sorry I missed Norway’s Birthday! I have been away on a transatlantic cruise. But am back and catching up with everyone.
    I would love to see you marching in a parade!

18. Anna says:

You are well worth your own country. I think you are doing well without us Swedes. You made the right decision back then. Happy Norwayday!