Ullandhaug – Stavanger

Evening time from Ullandhaug tower

Evening time from Ullandhaug tower

My parents are away on summer holidays and for logistical purposes and for the change in scenery we decided to stay over at their place for a night. They only live a 5 minutes drive away from me, but you feel like you’re more away from the centre of town than that. When we were there we decided to take a little walk up to a tower on a hill a few minutes walk up the road. The view up there is very nice.

Met this little fellow on our way

Met this little fellow on our way.

When I lived with my parents I used to go for walks in this area all the time, but having plenty of opportunities closer but it’s been a while since I have walked here. The weather was a bit on and off, but it was quite lovely and warm.The tower  is called Ullandhaugtårnet, meaning Ullandhaug tower, it is a tele tower built in 1964 on top Ullandhaug a hill in Stavanger. The top of the tower is 200 meters above sea and this makes it the highest point in Stavanger. And from the viewpoint here you can see all of Stavanger and beyond. The tower was built where an older tower was erected in 1896 in commemoration of the battle of Hafrsfjord (a famous Viking battle), but this was mostly destroyed in World War II. So the new tower is built where the old tower had been.

View from another side of the tower.

View from another side of the tower.

On our way down we had to go by a shop and get some coffee for the morning and as the nearest shop takes you past the Iron age farm we decided to go up and have a look. The houses wasn’t open as we were there quite late, but as long as you leave the sheep be and remember to close the fence you’re allowed in at all hours to have a look. The farm is a recreation of an Iron Age Farm found here by archeologist and everything is recreated just the way they found it. You can come here and get a glimpse of what it was like to live in Norway 1500 years ago.

20150729_192247

Picture of the Iron Age Farm, you can see Ullandhaug tower in the background

46 thoughts on “Ullandhaug – Stavanger

1. JC says:

Thanks for the tour… very interesting.

2. That is a place I’d love to shoot a video.

3. Karen says:

Another item for my ‘to visit’ list. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

4. Even 5 minutes away in another house can change your perspective. Almost as good as going to a hotel. 🙂 Sounds like you had a lovely walk. Loved seeing the bunny. They are so cute you just want to cuddle them.

5. hsampson says:

Wow! Great view and place. Enjoy your walks and those view and memories! Thanks for sharing I really enjoyed it!

6. Leya says:

Thank you for the nice tour! I have been several times to Norway, but not seen this town. Lovely!

Glad you enjoyed. Where in Norway have you been?

• Leya says:

By car up to Nordkapp two times. Gudbrandsdalen, Geiranger, Mo i Rana osv. Oslo förstås. Innerdalen och Hardangervidda. Favoriten är Svartisen. Lofoten återstår – det är flott. Nästa år kanske? Har du favoriter får du gärna berätta!

Jeg har bodd I Stavanger og Bergen og trives godt her. Trondheim er også fint. Lysefjorden utenfor Stavanger er veldig flott.

7. It looks so beautiful! I have to put this on my “places to see” list!! Thanks for sharing!

8. That was such interesting local history. I felt like I was walking around with you. I love the idea of visiting the tower. In the town where I grew up, there was an historic battlefield/state park. There was a stone lookout tower that I liked to climb when I was a kid. Here is a picture: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/265430971760039978/
    Wishing you a wonderful weekend. Hugs! 🙂

9. GP Cox says:

You have a lovely website here. Cher had a great idea with her block party yesterday, didn’t she?!
    It would be terrific to view Norway as it was 1500 years ago, I love that sort of thing. Sorry the tower was destroyed in WWII, I hope the US didn’t do it!!

Thank you so much. Cher really had a great idea. I had so much fun at the party yesterday and found so many great blogs to read, including yours. The tower that was there originally and that god destroyed gave way to the new tower that was essential for telecommunications in our town. I have no idea who destroyed the tower, but as casualties of war goes, it wasn’t a huge sacrifice.

10. markbialczak says:

It looks like you had a beatiful visit, mas!

11. […] the same area as the Ullandhaug Tower and Iron Age Farm I wrote about in my previous post is Stavanger’s Botanical […]

12. Lovely! I almost came to your area on temporary duty when I was in the Air Force, but I was sent to France instead. I have always been curious about what I missed seeing. Maybe I can get a glimpse through your blog.

Thank you for visiting I hope I can give you a little glimpse of what it is like in my part of Norway on this blog. What part of France where you stationed in?

13. amommasview says:

I’d like to visit. It sounds worth a trip.

What history your country has! I’m always learning something new from you.

15. Anna says:

Beautiful. Norway is almost as beautiful as Sweden, haha 😉

16. Ellen Hawley says:

Wow. I’d love to see that farm.

17. Ellen Hawley says:

Still just kids, then, both of us.

18. From here you have a marvellous view of Stavanger, Ryfylke and Nordjaeren. Harald’s Cairn was sited here previously and rocks from the top of this older tower are now placed beside Ullandhaugtarn.